My writing, mostly articles and essays that have been published here and elsewhere.
- Extending the browser with the lingua franca of the web
- Review - Opus by Satoshi Kon
a brilliant postmodernist introspection of the challenges of writing
- Against Facebook
On the commodification of attention, the abuses of unpaid microwork and strategies of resistance.
- How Do Not Track and The EU GDPR Promise to Disrupt the Future of Web Advertising
Since the advent of the first banner ads, web tracking has gradually developed practices that are intrinsically based on a disrespect for peoples privacy, DNT and the EU GDPR will disrupt those practices.
- One Year with Ember
Thoughts on Ember after a year of use.
- Before Trump Takes Office
A description of the high-water mark before Trump takes office.
- Travel Writing - Redux, Italy & Switzerland Edition
How travel does not provide new perspectives or meaning.
- A Retrospective — Responsive Design
Not too long ago, there was a great debate between two sides of the web. The 'Responsive' web vs the 'm.'' web. One pushing for a single codebase that responds to user-context and another pushing for a second, mobile-only approach (typically using a subdomain starting with m.) Its clear now, the responsive web has won.
- Development Lifecycle with Docker and Elastic Beanstalk
This article explains the advantages of using Docker over automated configuration management tools, and describes a workflow from development through QA and into production deployment using Amazons' Elastic Beanstalk.
- When to Use Git Merge vs Git Rebase
This article will attempt to provide an overview to the different workflows, and explain when merge and rebase are the more appropriate workflow to use.
- “So what do you do?” — How Idle Conversation Escalates Tensions in Class Inequality
Performativity in idle conversation is annoying and harmful
- Approaches for Pushing Do Not Track to the edges
Do Not Track (DNT) is dying a slow death, but we can take some simple steps to encourage its wider adoption.
- Understanding Media, Reversal of the Overheated Media
Understanding Media, even more relevant today.
- Best Practices for Writing CSS
Conventions to help writing performant, maintainable stylesheets
- Travel Writing
How travel provides new perspectives and meaning.
- Hikikomori/Otaku Japans Latest Out-Group - Creating Social Outcasts to Construct a National Self-identity
This article will describe an overview, differentiation from otaku, potential social causes, victimization, and the social impact of acute social-withdrawl or hikikomori in Japanese society.